05 May 2008

Heartland: You've redeemed yourself.


In search of a quiet place to get a light bite and an espresso, I decided to give Heartland Brewery (Times Square) another chance. Having received shoddy service from sassy hostess staff in the past while getting drinks and appetizers with co-workers, I have been resistant to go back. (It happened twice!)

I stepped into the slightly over-air conditioned bar and ordered an espresso and spinach salad. The bartender was very friendly, offering me an espresso 'refill.' The salad was a perfectly proportioned plate for a quick lunch hour while you brief paper work. Furnished with goat cheese crumbles, julienned Granny Smith apples and cherry tomatoes it left me content.

Other notes: the Caesar salad isn't spectacular. It's almost too fishy. I would recommend trying the "Around the World," beer sampler when meeting with clients after work. It's tasty beer and offers a casual conversation piece. The appetizers are hinting on chain-restaurant quality, but decent for snaking while drinking.

No comments: