25 July 2010

Bahn Mi- Financial District

New York Magazine has named Ba Xuyen's sandwich among the best in the five boroughs. Given that it's practically in Timbuktu (Sunset Park, Brooklyn), I've settled few Chinatown alternatives. Not to continue to encourage my laziness, but I was actively excited about a Vietnamese sandwich shopping opening on Pearl Street, a stone's throw from my apartment, in the Financial District.

Cement floors, a cheap grand opening sign and fake grape vines hanging from the ceiling set the stage. A good thing, in my opinion. The sandwiches are double the price of the shops in Brooklyn and Manhattan Chinatowns, but that is expected given the neighborhood. Among the classic menu choices (ham pate, chicken, etc), I requested the pork. The massive grinder came with the traditional elements: pickled carrots, cilantro, thinly sliced jalapeno, cucumber, mayo and pate. The pork was decent, a bit firm, but flavorful. The sandwich really can't compare to those in the grungy shops, but it's an agreeable alternative when you do not have the afternoon to travel.




Image: Roadfood.com

No comments: