30 November 2008

don't forget your tardy slip!

You've been there. The slowing, slower, glacial pace of the subway on your morning commute. You're checking the time on your cell, your IPod, your watch...tapping your foot. A few groans are admitted. A man is mouthing off: putting in his two cents about the MTA. You take notice of the "MTA Sucks" scratched in the car. A woman shakes her head. 

As reported on NY1 this morning, and further covered in other publications, such as CBS: the MTA is now issuing late cards to riders caught in the mess of delays. Good news, right? It's like getting a doctors note or a word from your parents, when missing school. Cool dude. I'm like in school again. Well I suppose one ascribes to many schooldays practices, such as standing in line for everything and needing an ID to get into your building, when existing in NYC. 

The sticky thing about the late slip is that the MTA is currently mailing them out (1-2 weeks after the fact) by then, your employer or teacher would have hopefully forgiven you...but it's -something- right? About 34,000 of these documents are sent annually, a system which is projected to go online in the future.

4 comments:

? said...

What a system. Thanks for the update new york lady. I have had to restart my blog and will get to the new york girl bit shortly. Will be interesting. Can I post the photo of you having luch when you enter the poem?

Unknown said...

certainly. look forward.

Writing Practice said...

Now that makes me miss New York City big time. If they would only have three stikes for turnstile jumping before issuing a ticket.

Unknown said...

Amen!

I did three strikes then moved to the next turnstile this morning and it wouldn't let me through because I just "used the card"...