20 November 2008

easy lunch, Caffe Peppe Rosso


Another meeting brought me through the doors of Grand Central this afternoon. I settled in a Caffe Peppe Rosso for a late lunch while I looked over notes, and wrote a few cards. I wasn't sure whether I was hungry enough for a panini or if salad would be satisfying enough. The charming Costa Rican server piped in as she set down a glass of white wine, "I can do this for you: a simple, small panini. Tomato, basil, fresh mozzarella. That's it. Then I will bring you a salad. Do you like arugula, apples and blue cheese? This is a good dish." I agreed. She waved her arm in approval.
The man to my left ordered the same salad and a double cappuccino. He assured me it was a sound choice. He works in the building. This is his lunch spot.  I engaged in a brief conversation about Chicago rentals and the DOW dropping to the seven-thousand range as our meals were placed before us. The portions were beautiful. Well-suited for a late-lunch. The ingredients were fresh, light and appropriately matched. Each flavor distinct and vivid. I spent my time with the meal and finished up my paper work, settled a few voicemails. 

 As far as quick bites in Grand Central go, I tend to gravitate to this particular counter- it's in the central location and bar stool seating. A level of comfort is achieved without a huge production. The lunch and dinner options are a bit more delightful than the morning omelets. 

No comments: