18 November 2008

lunch at my most favorite food


This afternoon, Vadim and I ventured up to Virgin Records in Times Square and eventually fell into a table at my most favorite food for lunch. At first glance, it appears to be a bakery, awkwardly located in a considerably less chaotic street than the neighboring Times Square lights. The servers immediately brought us an assortment of homemade breads (the raisin took the cake) and offered us a variety of waters. The feel is quick lunch casual, but the goal seems to be something greater. It's ideal for say: a power lunch that was planned at the drop of a hat. 

When I requested the French Onion Soup, the server warned, "It has cheese, you know." I assured him that I do in fact enjoy consuming cheese. Vadim ventured, "You don't look like someone who eats a lot of cheese."

"I don't?"

"I'm joking."

"Moving on."

Vadim selected the Portabella Club and suggested that we also try the Fishcake.  Vadim's plate came with a mountain of homemade potato chips and pickle slices. The coleslaw was quite refreshing and well-suited for the plate. The sandwich- quite massive and nothing special in particular: Portabella, non-descript aioli.  In other words, the entree proved to be a standard issue plate that did not earn it's $16 ticket. My soup was too hot, but tasty. It wasn't the best French Onion soup I've ever had. The quality was better than a diner, but still several notches below that served at BXL. 

And then there was the Fishcake. I'm still thinking on this one. Incredibly dense, salmon was the most obvious ingredient. The paprika aioli worked. It matched the roasted corn succotash with a minor kick. My one complaint was that the dish was served luke warm. Either warm it up- or don't serve it. It was as if they made it prematurely and let it sit. 

Unless I snagged a position at next door neighbor D.E. Shaw, I doubt I'd enter the doors of my most favorite food again. The cupcakes were cute. I might eat the cupcakes. 

No comments: