30 November 2008

late lunch, Di Fiore MARQUET CAFE


I had the pleasure of taking lunch and conversation with my friend Yuka this afternoon. We met in Union Square to push through the wind and rain to Di Fiore Marquet Cafe in the West Village. Home of the best $5.50 cappuccino I've ever had, (I'll credit a portion of that delight to the whole milk) bakery classics and impressively fresh dishes.


Yuka chose the Avocado Salad with chicken, cherry tomatoes and corn shaved from the cob in house. Having a difficult time deciding on the Eggs Benedict or a salad, I asked the waiter for his advice, "Well everything is wonderful. Really. " A cliche, but the expression in his face matched the sincerity in his voice. I opted for the Nicoise Salad with Poached Salmon.  A massive platter with braised green beans, salty greek olives, steamed potatoes, cherry tomatoes and cucumbers: I have to tell you, this chilled dish was completely divine. I love variety. Give a neatly organized plate of savory items- and I'm on board, with gusto.

Neither Yuka or myself could finish our plates. We were a bit relieved when the server offered to wrap them up to-go. A bit of a faux-pas at times, I'll admit that genuinely enjoy the doggy bag! We decided to window shop a bit, to let our food digest. The outdoor holiday kiosks are in full force at Union Square. The vendors are well worth checking out! One can peruse everything from gloves to handmade soaps and New York Subway satchels!

4 comments:

yuka said...

Thank you for your diary. I like your writing very much <3 It is very clear and easy to understand for me. Once I finished reading your blog, I got flush back. It was windy and cold a little walking around the city without gloves, but it's pleasure time!!!

? said...

You are so slim and cute. Your profile pic doesn't tell this much about you...thanks for all the city update

Unknown said...

Thanks to you both.

Much love,

Sak.

? said...

Sak, I noticed someone really important had gone missing from my blog...I checked all the blogs I was following and they seemed to match with those following me. But last night, in my sleep, I remembered there was someone missing...the name sakura nyc came to mind and I checked this morning and realised I hadn't been following you too. I came looking for you through google. Thank God I found you again.
I need your blog to progress with my story. I have realised that whenever I add a new blog, I sometimes lose another. I think this may have been removed when I made my blog over again...

Please come back and never leave. Or at least, let me know if you would like to leave. I had been thinking about this and trying to imagine what I may have done wrong.
I am very sorry if I upset you in any way.
You are very important.

I am following and adding a link to your blog. Check my blog in 3 minutes and the links will be there...also you should notice that I am now following you...The ball is now in your court. A number of photos on here have inspired me.
Please come back...Ill be waiting for you.