12 November 2008

the scallops are back, Stone Park Cafe

Despite my primal craving for sushi at Sakura, Vadim and I ventured further down Fifth Avenue after discovering the restaurant closed for renovations. In need of a good meal, I followed Vadim's steps into Stone Park Cafe.

For once, we stuck with water. I have to tell you, I love to pair wine with food, but there is something divine and charming in the purity of taking taste as it is. 

I ordered the Dover Sea Scallops with Sweet Potato Mashers, Mustard Seed Beurre Blanc and Braised Leeks ($27). Vadim's appetite proved to be a bit more- he requested the Daily Market Menu: Homemade Linguini to start, Grilled Salmon on Barley and Wild Mushrooms and a Trio of Sorbets: Guava, Pear and Strawberry ($30).

Ba Da Bing! I have a difficult time finding something negative to say about this Michelin Guide recommended restaurant. The linguini was straightforward- a hint of spice, a loving dose of cream and fresh basil- and the pork sausage teased!  The Dover Scallops- now Stone Park is a bit notorious for their hearty, plump- flat-out magnificent scallops- and these did not disappoint. As the food runner set my plate before me he took a deep breath, "I had these for the first time tonight. You are going to be happy." The sauce was a beautiful marriage with the mashers and leeks and suited the buttery scallops to a tee. I placed one on Vadim's plate and he offered me a bit of salmon. Prepared medium-rare with a crispy grilled tinge, the fish was spot on. I could live in the flavor. It made perfect sense at the moment. The barley and wild mushrooms were an exciting touch, as you typically don't see the ingredients served together. 

I took each bite slowly. Considered the textures. With the economy as it is- I eat in more often (or try to). I certainly wanted to save room for the sorbet and homemade cookies. I made it...by a hair, with a few bites left in my stomach. The sorbet! Hello Pear! You take the cake. Guava your even flavor with a subtle sweet is a close second. Strawberry...hello beauty. You're like a Summer berry ripe from from the vine. 

I'll keep going back. Brunch, Market and Scallops! If you're in the neighborhood, it's a must.

2 comments:

? said...

I have linked to you as the the New Yorker?

Unknown said...

I am so flattered. xo.