18 November 2008

tuesday thoughts, a series


Late afternoon, Park Slope: 1

As I stepped off the subway this afternoon, I couldn't help but match the moody feel of the falling sun to the tone of the phone calls I was fielding. The wind had long since set in and strained speak of the economy pushed through the lips of those around me. A few gaggles of students passed with vibrant hoodies and hyper styled Nikes on their feet.

Late afternoon, Park Slope: 2

My regular Korean grocer waved to me as I passed her door opened to the street. I made a mental note to add water to the Bamboo plant I purchased from her last week. She had carefully offered me instructions on nurturing the plant. A last glimpse of sun attached itself to the tips of buildings and remaining leaves on the trees. A dog walker approached from across the street. I recognized two of the three jerking at the leashes- a pair of French Bulldogs. The owner had had them shipped from Texas. They're allergic to just about every type of dog food. She finally settled on a duck and sweet potato blend. They looked healthier today.


Dispute, Park Avenue-Midtown.

I considered events from earlier in the day. The sterile feel of Park Avenue as I approached Grand Central. Perhaps it was garbage day. Few bags were stacked before the streets. Cabs lined up, but seemed to slow-- rather than threaten to hit you as you crossed the streets. Although the lunch rush was in play, fewer people seemed to be on the streets. There was a larger line at the bank than in the deli's. 


Seen on the buildings.

As I waited for Vadim outside his office, I enjoyed the warmth of the sun with my back turned in defense of the wind. I collected words from denizens exiting the building, each with a gasp, "It's cold." "Oh, wow, it's chilly." "Burrr....where do you want to eat?" I looked up from my secured location of comfort and warmth to 101 Park, Grand Central. The Chrystler building. I recognized the chill on their sides. As if a tourist, I snapped a photo.

No comments: