26 January 2009

a look at Edward Hopper


New York Movie, 1939.



The Bootleggers, 1925.


Pennsylvania Coal Town, 1947




Chop Suey, 1929


A friend from college, Christy, recently shared Chop Suey with me. She suggested "Edward Hopper (finds) Keisha." I suppose the woman does have a particular resemblence to me...I couldn't resist sharing a few of my favorites. Hopper is one of the leading American realist painters of the 20th century. His work captures emotion such as lonlieness, introspection and detachment through images in metropolitan scenes, cafes and apartment windows.

1 comment:

Yoknapatawpha Kid said...

Dear Sakura,

Nice post on Edward Hopper!

My name is Peter Ricci, and I am a college student and writer who currently contributes to 'Too Shy to Stop,' an upstart online magazine focused on culture and the arts.

I found you entry, as it would turn out, while doing research for my own article on Hopper. My profile focuses on Hopper's interesting background and why his work has remained so relevant.

If you have the time, check it out! I’d love for you to read it and comment.

http://www.tooshytostop.com/index.php/2009/03/10/edward-hoppers-narrative-of-experience/

Sincerely,

Peter Ricci