11 January 2009

midnight dinner: el centro, hell's kitchen


One can only take so much DJ action at BXL, ergo: forge on for sustenance. Having not been to El Centro in some time, we ventured towards Hell's Kitchen for a late dinner. Margaritas and Skinny Mojitos (substituting Splenda for sugar, it was actually tasty- a credit to the fresh squeezed lime juice), Grilled Shrimp and Jack Quesadilla and Goat Cheese Empanadas: d'lish! We ordered a side of guacamole, which I felt was a bit bland at first, but when coupled with the house made chipotle salsa and velvety spices of the dishes, it blended quite well.

The quesadilla was decent, for what it was. The serrano chiles and epazote certainly complimented the simple flavor of the jack cheese, although I felt that it was nothing spectaculor. Granted, it's a quesadilla, which has never really been anything to write home about. The empanadas were absolutely delightful. I think I'm kind of on an empanada kick right now. Although fried, they weren't heavy, just slightly rich with the goat cheese filling. The salsa roja exhibited a lovely smokey flavor to match the pungent cheese. I can't quite place my finger on it, but I genuinely enjoy this spot. The portions aren't massive, which is comforting. They know they can satisfy you with quality and interest, rather than size. A little less American, per se.

No comments: