11 January 2009

the mistakes we make: unlimited sangria brunch.


I couldn't resist Marcel's suggestion of brunch on Saturday, a short negotiation pushed us through the doors of Barrio. We sipped on unlimited sangria while recapping on our Friday night debacles and replayed drunk dials. Marcel took the suggestion from the server for the Tortilla Pie (photographed above) and I selected the Barrio omelet (below). Marcel's dish was a mess of cheese, "I think there's chicken...somewhere...in there." I sampled a bite, this is perhaps the least satisfying dish I have ever tried at Barrio. The food is typically fresh, light. The pie tasted like a frozen dinner, or some sort of horrifying Midwestern casserole from the Kraft cookbook.



The Barrio omelet proved to be the better dish: prawns, cojita, tomatillo. I'm not a big omelet person (the texture the eggs take on sort of grosses me out, in a spongy way), but this was pretty tasty. The prawns quite fresh, subtly firm and the tomatillo mingled well with the cojita. The bartender continuously refilled our sangrias without a word, I finally had to put my hand over my glass, " I can't believe I drank four. It's not even one p.m."

"Five," the bartender corrected with a chuckle. I raised my brow to Marcel, went home and napped until six. Sort of a waste of a Saturday afternoon, but the pug likes naps: so we got in a little quality time a' la couch.

--
Barrio: unlimited sangria brunch on Saturday & Sunday, $15.95

1 comment:

Dave Schipper said...

Wonderfully Rich...

Thanks

Dave