22 January 2009

corner burger


For a short period (read: a few months, tops) corner burger was some sort of Middle Eastern/ gyro joint, but let's be honest: gyros are meant to be purchased from carts on the street. Then: one day, much like the surprise of Commerce Bank morphing into TD Bank, it became Corner Burger.


Vadim and I met up after work earlier this week to check it out. We started with shakes: he had a black and white, I had a 'lighter' monkey business with bananas and honey. Absolutely average. I'm pretty confident in saying that you can get a much much better shake at the diner down the street, for half the price. We nibbled on the deep fried pickles while we waited for our burgers and shared plate of spicy curly fries. The pickles, again: absolutely nothing spectacular, or really even that good. Perhaps they could have been better with some sort of delightful dipping sauce, or I don't know, better quality pickles? The batter was ok, but seemingly uninspired...


Shortly after the pickles, the server brought us two huge burgers: The Slope: bacon, cheese and onion rings & The Paris: mushrooms, swiss, dijon. This was a little too much burger for me. In fact, I think the only time I could really enjoy this, is if I had been backpacking for two weeks in the Olympic Mountains- consuming nothing but revived freeze dried food and trail mix. It was just so thick, but not in a good way, in a "I'm making up for my lack of flavor and quality," sort of way...


In other words: for less than this $45 sticker, you can get two superior burgers, a few beers and they will come with fries...(Don't waste your time).

No comments: