13 January 2009

a good hire


The Monday makes sense, but Tuesday?

The Help Desk is on speed dial. They've all begrudgingly learned me by name and voice- but my computer is up to par now. No bother, I'm told by a superior. The squeaking wheel gets the attention around here. I settled in with the folks in London, got their confidences taken care of, but the supply closet loomed over me.

After a few days of requests, writing utensils handed out, I eventually had to retrieve the key from the head hancho's office. Down the long slinking hall, I shimmied the key in and revealed a mess of office essentials. Have I ever mentioned my adoration for office supplies? Give me a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils! Notebooks...colored paper clips! I rooted around a bit and uncovered the Double A batteries and glue stick that I needed.

I turned to the door. Closed. I reached for the handle: wait. What's this? Am I?

I pulled, shook. Rattled. It's late in the day o'clock. Rattle. Rattle

Rattle!?!?

Suddenly I felt a pressure back.

Pete. Elizabeth peered around his shoulder. Eyes sparked, "Nice work. We heard the sounds. Came to investigate."

"I did- scuffle a bit. I'm a moron, it seems."

"It took me a while to figure out the door, as well," she looked down to my fist full of batteries and glue.

"Locks aren't my strong suit, it seems. I assure you I have other strengths, like updating websites...things you: hired...me...for."

No comments: