08 January 2009

back to Coco Roco: same story.

The first time I found myself in the Peruvian restaurant, I was in the Carroll Garden's location: drinking sangria, nibbling on plantains, ceviche and friends. I've returned to Coco Roco a handful times for brunch or drinks, but also for dinner and lunch at the Park Slope location. One thing is clear: Park Slope is no match to Carroll Gardens in terms of service. Although the food is good at both, the feel and quality of the atmosphere in Park Slope cannot match up.

Marcel and I stopped in the other day for dinner. He ordered the Half Roasted Chicken with a side of Yuca Frita, I decided on the Salmon Morado: blue potato crusted, spinach mashers and greens. Marcel's chicken came in a large, somewhat overwhelming portion and beautifully moist. The Yuca Frita was fairly standard: dry, starchy and improved with creamy spicy sauce. I was a bit taken with the moisture and quality of my salmon. I'll credit the blue potato crust for moisture maintenance. We sipped on conversation and Sangria, and it must be asked: is it just me, or do they need to add some more brandy to their recipe? Aside from the presence of wine, is there any alcohol in this cocktail?

All in all, a tasty, satisfying set of flavors that got the job done for a second thought dinner.
The shortcoming, as if on cue was the tapering off of service, at the end of the meal. The server was doing so well, until he forgot us. In fact, things seemed hopeful when he collected our empty plates, but then he just: left us there, forever and ever. He didn't even offer coffee or dessert in this waiting period. Although I shouldn't really complain, I enjoy speaking with Marcel. But we do not all have Marcels, to amuse us.


Image: NY Mag.

No comments: