24 December 2008

Pike Place Market, a photo series


perch and glow.


oink & cheer.


Oysters and Smoked Salmon.


curve, cross.


"You can't taste the picture love, buy some fish."


Inquiry.


Enter.


"If I wanted snow, I'd go to the mountains. I don't think it needed to snow down here."


wellies & flannel, tucking.

It's been a year since I've been home. The roads are snarled with ice and slush. Cabin fever threatened me. I decided to step out, take it in. Head to the city.

I paused at the stoplight and opened the Seattle Times, "We have a reserve of salt, but we will not use it on the roads and sidewalk. It's bad for the environment." The light turned green, a woman slowed her car and waved me to cross the street. Jarred, I shook my head. She waved again. I crossed. I considered the pools of slush, maneuvered a bit, then trotted towards the boat to Seattle. A few familiar faces approached, sat, asked me about New York.

The boat docked with an unmistakable precision. I walked up Marion Street and across First Avenue to Pike Place Market. I decided to pick up smoked salmon, and oysters, for my family to enjoy at Christmas dinner. I called an old friend. we decided to meet for coffee.

A slight pang of hunger pronounced itself in my stomach. I stepped into Nijo for a roll, and a Wasabi Bloody Mary. Within five minutes, the entire waitstaff, and a few patrons, were my new BFF's. The bartender offered to pack my seafood on ice and gave me a shucking knife. I finished up, headed over to the Owl & Thistle to meet Ryan. The bartender insisted that I take my time and didn't as much as raise a brow when only coffee was ordered. The owner approached, kissed me on the cheek. Asked me of the East Coast.




2 comments:

Writing Practice said...

I have just one word for you Seattle: SALT. Sorry salmon.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I’m the Community Manager of Ruba.com. We’re building a website to highlight some of the most interesting places travelers around the world have discovered. We’ve read hundreds of blogs about Seattle, and we think that this post is awesome! Great photos! We’d love to highlight excerpts from blogs like yours (assuming it’s OK with you of course) and to discuss other ways of tapping into your expertise if you are interested. I’m at erin@ruba.com.
Thanks! :)