19 May 2009

dinner tonight: cakes & penne.

While dashing to the 4/5 train this afternoon, I stopped into the Grand Central Market to pick up a main dish item for dinner. I selected a few different seafood cakes from the Wild Edibles counter: one Cod Cake, one New England Crab Cake. I hopped on the crowded train and tried to avoid slapping the woman sitting below me in the face with the bag-- while reading Conde Naste Portfolio.

Four stops later, I surfaced onto Wall Street. I decided to pick up a pound of cherries from a street vendor. He threw in an extra handful. They always do.

Inside I prepped: grapes, cherries, brie, organic crackers baked in olive oil and nuts on a snacking plate.

For a second side dish: I sliced cucumber to be drizzled with soy sauce and sprinkled with ginger. I set aside the fruit and salad while I boiled penne and began to pan sear the cakes in a modest splash of olive oil.

Pilgrim waited (a bit anxiously) while the pasta came to and cakes began to brown.


I sliced grape tomatoes in half and tossed them over medium heat with one tablespoon of olive oil. I sprinkled a little sea salt and freshly cracked pepper over top. After a few minutes, I drained the al dente penne to add to the tomatoes.


I tossed the penne with the tomatoes and added capers (mostly drained). I left the pasta to simmer over the heat while folding in the juices.


The meal was fairly simple in terms of ingredients, but quite satisfying. I always find myself most content with a variety of flavors, textures and colors. On the cakes: nothing to write home about. They were mostly filler ingredients and needed Sriracha and rice vinegar to make them interesting. I'd probably make my own recipe next time, or stick to salmon fillets for this meal.

No comments: