04 April 2009

it started with a cabbie


I was quite firm: one, maybe two happy-hour cocktails. (Last Friday: I gave in at 10:00pm). After three at 119 Bar in Union Square, Alvarez offered to give me moral support at Trader Joe's while I selected picked-over, reasonably priced groceries and stood in an epic line. As we darted across the street, he called to me, "Did you see that?"

"What?"

"A female Muslim Pakistani cab driver"

"Female? Weird."

"Come on, we're getting in that cab."

"Ok?"

He waved at her and we ran back.

He leaned over to me and whispered, "Interview her."

He considered our options for moment, then directed her to Vazacs Horseshoe Bar/7B. I gathered information: single mother. Two babies. Domestic violence survivor. Stuck in Jersey, NYC Cab driver is the only job that pays and allows her to work at night. She's not a good waitress, won't strip.

We arrived at the bar. Fell out of the cab. He treated her well. We stepped in. While considering our seating options, a wide-eyed woman approached, "Today is 42 Below Vodka Day, you can have whatever you want with 42 Below and it's free."

Jackpot.

We took advantage for a bit, then decided to pay our text messages mind...eventually pushing us in the direction of Black Bear Lodge ( I know, I know).

En route, we decided to stop to get a slice of pizza-

Just a block before the Lodge, we spotted an open spot.

Half a dozen slices of mushroom, one chicken, one: mystery meat. I suggested the chicken. While we waited for our pizza to warm, a portly boy, and matching girl, leaned over the counter:

"How Much? I'm not paying $3.50 for a regular slice"

"It has mushrooms."

"So?"

"You think these mushrooms just appear? I buy these. Pay that guy to saute them. My rent is ten grand"

"That's too much for a slice, in Queens, I live in Astoria, I wouldn't pay that much."

"So go to Queens."

"I'm hungry."

"So pay me."

(This went on for a few minutes).

The girl suddenly interrupted, "How much for the water?"

"One sixty-five"

She threw two bills on the counter, "Just this."

And walked away. The guy paused, closed his mouth. Sunk. Walked away.

The cashier turned to us as we went to pay, "You want a free slice of pizza?"


We picked at the greasy mess, and eventually threw in the towel. Black Bear Lodge called.

There's not much more to say about the BBL. The usual tom-foolery. More pics, here, here and here.

No comments: