21 April 2009

found! Financial District's best budget lunches.

(Mobile uploads...but you get the idea of the dishes).

Whenever I come home from work, I notice this gyro cart packing up. He's located directly across from my building- advertising $3 gyros and $4 lamb or chicken over rice. That's the cheapest I've seen in the city. Although my favorites are on 39th and Broadway (for taste) and Water and Wall, (for convenience, he's always there) I've been anxious to try this particular one. The next block up (at Hanover) the gyro cart guy has a pretty solid circa 1980's sweater that is gray with purple teddy bears and hearts (a major selling point). But: today is the day. I'm home resting my toe and I'm really not walking much farther than across the street for sustenance.

This may all seem like a lot of build up for a gyro cart, but I feel that is very dominate presence in the NYC vending marketplace. They deserve the discourse.

Ergo: approximate coordinates are Wall Street between Pearl and Hanover (that's directly in front of Deutsche Bank). I'm going to start by emphasizing that this is the most friendly (yes more than the teddy bear sweater guy, but only by a hair) gyro cart guy I have ever encountered.

"Lamb?"

"Yes."

"Just lamb?"

(Nod)

"Sauce?"

"Both"

"Lots of hot?"

"That's enough"

"More sauce is better"

"Ok"

"Vegetable?"

"Yes"

*Grin from ear to ear* "Drink?"

"No thanks'

"Beer?"

(Pause)

"I joke! I have no beer. Beer is what you should have miss! You live right there? You should have dropped off your bags, then had lamb"

I handed him a five. He reached into his pocket and extended a dollar.

"We're good, it's yours."

"It's only four, Miss."

"We're good."

"But Miss."

"We're good...see you later."

He nodded. Smiled. Waved.

--->The key: chickpeas in addition to the regular mix, as well the chopped bell peppers. His veggies were super fresh, well prepared and you could tell he was serious about not letting the meat dry out.
While on the subject of cheap eats, I thought I'd share a sushi roll I discovered the other day. Zeytuna's sushi bar is highly active during lunch hour, but again: I work in Midtown. Occasionally, if I get to the store right after work, or on the weekend, there is still a good selection of fresh rolls.

Let me introduce you to the Hawaii roll. It's more than enough to fill me up with: tuna, cucumber inside and large slices of avocado, tobiko, wasabi sauce drizzle and thinly sliced almonds over the top. Twelve pieces! Six slices of avocado!

So yum for $6.99. Cheaper if you're a resident of the Financial District or a student. Show your ID and get a 10% off card.

Recession be damned.

No comments: