16 August 2009

brunch at Waterstone Grill


I feel as though I've been neglecting my affection for weekend brunches, ergo I trailed down Pearl Street to check out a spot I haven't explored yet. A chalkboard outside of the Waterstone Grill offered $10 unlimited cocktails (Bloody Mary/Screw Driver/ Mimosa/Champagne) with brunch.

After being directed to a seat, I waited about five minutes while four servers pained over a computer, seemingly working something out. It takes four? I opened my magazine and considered leaving. Be patient. A few minutes later, one of the flip-flop wearing girls came over as she called back to the others, "Should have added gratuity to table nine!" and placed a menu before me. I requested a Bloody Mary.

When she returned with my cocktail, I immediately regretted it. The olives were tiny, appearing to be poor grade, as well it looked like a red snow globe of horseradish. I mulled over a few choices, leaning towards the omelet with lobster and blue crab- only to be lead by the waitress towards the Huevos Quesadilla. The plate, as described on the menu: tortilla filled with shredded cheddar Jack cheese and jalapeƱos, topped with 2 fried eggs, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, with fresh fruit and baby greens.

The fruit and mesculin greens were a nice contrast to the heavy cheese, sour cream and guacamole. Although the dish was marked as a "Waterstone Specialty," I didn't identify anything particularly fantastic about it. Per my request, the medium cooked eggs added a nice moisture to the crispy quesadilla, but there weren't any spectacular flavors present. I was pleased that another server picked up the slack of my server (and I sincerely hope that she got to keep the tip!)

No comments: