05 March 2009

take cocktails: at Ulysses


A friend asked me down to Ulysses for cocktails last night- a place I've been a bit curious about ever since I was warned, "Don't fall into the Ulysses trap," by a handful of folks at the Killarney Rose (the Jackie's Fifth Amendment of the Financial District--->a fight broke out in between shots of Jameson. I have to admit I was impressed with Tommy the bartender, who snapped over the counter is a micro moment: he's seasoned). Any who, enough of the bunny trail: Ulysses.

Packed. Absolutely. And on a Wednesday night. There was a nervous looking DJ and pools of power hungry young professionals scooped into dark, antique alcove-style booths with stools. The large pub is divided by snaking pathways with two decent sized bars and multicolored lights. Had there been a dance floor (with disco ball) and a more inspired DJ: things could get a little messy.

We drank champagne splits and ordered a pot pie. I didn't take a taste, but it looked good. A generous portion at the very minimum. Ulysses offers favorites such as: oysters, salads, burgers and standard appetizers. They are also featuring a lobster night on Wednesdays and weekend brunch. To punctuate the evening, I ordered an Irish coffee, which was spot on. The coffee hot, fresh- the bourbon warm and the whipped cream homemade.

I can foresee myself getting "trapped," but the dive-vibe at the Killarney Rose is definitly a bit more suited for an easy nightcap.

No comments: