18 March 2009

the past few days: things seen, things consumed.


St. Patrick's Day Parade: Midtown Manhattan.

The big show started in front of my office. A few people grumbled...made comments about working from home, others got right in the action. I did the latter. Nothing says St. Patty's like intoxicated firefighters, pubs packed by 8:00am and shamrock monogrammed chinos. The comment that took the cake, "That's an aggressive suit you're wearing," (one stock broker to another, yes it was quite prominently green).



Although corned beef and cabbage would have been a more appropriate dinner, I picked up Chinese at No. 1 Little House on William Street near Beaver. Woa brutal. The ingredients tasted as if it they had been defrosted in the microwave. I brought home: shumai, wonton soup and ginger and garlic chicken. An absolute disaster. No wonder the restaurant is consistently empty. I really can't say much more about it. It was an ugly experience. I'll stick to Liberty View in the future.

--And up to this evening...

I stepped on the M train at Broad to get off at Bowery, on the Lower East Side. I emerged near Delancey Street. Graffiti and shorter buildings, the Bowery Ballroom and the notorious 190 Bowery. I turned down Spring Street and walked past Sweet and Viscious three times before noticing the entry.

I met up with Marcel and some of his friends for a for drinks under pink lights shaped into butterflies and phallic looking ceiling bulbs. As much fun as debating Hoboken (it's NJ, not pretty much New York) with a random guy and paying $10 ($16.35 when you take into consideration the tip and ATM fees) for my Maker's on the rocks, I called it a night fairly early. The venue was empty, the homeless outside wouldn't believe that I didn't have a cigarette and I found myself craving some sort of sustenance.

No comments: