29 March 2009

Lannam: Yummy Budget Lunch


It's hard to think of a better way to spend a dreary Sunday afternoon: movie, followed by warm, spicy food. Vadim and I caught a matinee of the Watchmen (woa, that was a long one) then decided to get some eats in Union Square. I hadn't been in Lannam for lunch, (only late night dinners): but the vibe is still good. A reasonable crowd, and prompt service.

For Dim Sum, we selected: Shrimp Siumai. A surprisingly light dish of rice and shrimp wrapped in dough then served in a bamboo steamer. Plum sauce accompanied, we added chili sauce as well.


I chose a small Pho for my main course. The menu describes the dish as, "A Hearty Oxtail Soup." I didn't find it particularly hearty, but rather: just right. Again: I have a torrid love affair with anything that requires me to get involved with the process. As tradition calls: a side of bean sprouts, basil, lemon and plum sauce to add as you see fit.


Vadim selected his usual: Thin and Tender Rice Crepe with beef for his protein. The dish is accompanied with piles of cucumber, lettuce, bean sprouts and fresh basil in Nuoc Cham sauce. The luncheon option comes the same as the dinner plate and is almost half the price. The beef was well prepared and crepe a divinely simple in flavor. All items were found well suited to the variety of sauces available to add.

I've found Lannam to be consistant and the drinks are cheap ($5 wines and beers) and easy to look at. Also recommended for sipping: Thai Iced Tea.

121 University Place, nr. 13th.

No comments: