16 March 2009

dinner at Mad Dog & Beans


I had the pleasure of meeting up with a friend, Jason, for dinner and drinks at Mad Dog & Beans near my apartment. The cantina rests on Pearl Street with low lights and tart-delicious margaritas. We started with the guacamole: spicy. The secret to good guacamole rests in the quality of the avocados- they must be ripened and stored properly (a secret I learned while working at a Southwestern restaurant during high school and college).

Mad Dog has this figured out. The homemade chips were well matched to the freshmade guacamole.
We continued our meal with an offensively large chicken burrito and the Black Eyed Tuna ("Tuna Ceviche") which consists of thin sliced albacore with sesame seeds, tomatoes, serrano peppers and romaine. A sizeable salad with enough flavor and imagination to satisfy. I'm not suggesting that the food was spectacular, but certainly delicious and well-suited for the margaritas and Negra Modelo that we sipped on.

I think I'd go back...perhaps when my parents come to visit, or for happy hour...

No comments: