05 August 2008

waiting


From my experience, it seems that there is some sort of unspoken, universal rule- that you may not request an approximate time of arrival from maintenance companies.

Consider the Plumber, the exterminator, the refrigerator repair man, the locksmith...

All folks that we have found ourselves relying on in the past months as it seems that our apartment is a train wreck.

I've been conducting an experiment. One day I'll request a specific time, another a ball park time and third, no question at all- I comply with a specific day mentioned.

This is what I have found: if you simply say "okay, great," they will come in less than a half hour. If you ask for a specific time they will not come at all- call the next day and say they are "sorry" and will come by today...

----

As I had given up on the locksmith coming at all this morning, the dispatcher called.

"Hi. What street are you on again?"

Inner monologue *Really? come on..how many times...*

"X"

"What's the cross street?"

"Between Y & Z"


"Is there another cross street?"

Inner monologue *What? Another cross street? Would he like me to go out and carver another?"

"No. It's X street between Y and Z avenues."

--45 minutes later--

I open the door to let the locksmith in.

I point to the window. He measures. I explain that the neighbor needs the same service. He goes into the backyard and considers the neighbor's identical window. He comes back in. I offer him the neighbor's contact info. He begins to depart and pauses at my front door.

"This is the door, right?"

"Yes. Thank you. Bill the the building manager."

No comments: