19 August 2008

peace treaty

Social obligations kept me in the city a bit later than anticipated. I came home to a frantic pug (as Vadim isn't exactly inspired to walk him on his own). We saddled up and headed out. As I heaved the second weighted door to the stoop, Pilgrim waited patiently, then exploded into the warm night air.

Positioned to the left, neighbor Paul was typing on his MacBook. Glass of red at his side. Pilgrim slammed into him. The glass tipped. Shattered. Piece, by piece. Slowly--down--each--stair.

"Oh, let me-. Oh no. I'm so sorry. I'll get you a new glass, a bottle! Do you want me to wash your jeans?"

"No, no...it's fine."

"I owe you a glass. Let me wash your jeans."

He paused, "No, it's fine.

We picked up the fragments. He stepped in while I grabbed some paper towels. As I sopped up the crimson, he poured himself a new glass. He tucked the bottle in the corner.

"The other day, I was out here with coronas," he looked up to me, "the painter was here. He was drunk. He did a better job than the guy who painted it red. He was waving the bottle at me 'I have one too.' "

"I liked the red. Where you one of the people who called to complain?"

"No, no...I don't care that much. But you know, it's better brown," he pointed up to the numbers above the door, "We're no longer Engine 47."

---

Upon return from my walk with Pilgrim, I began to look for wine glasses online. Paul has black stemmed glasses. I could stick to the theme- (Amazon.com has a few nice options)or I could go with the Reidel Tyrol- which is a gorgeous glass (pictured above). I have the Reidel 'O' style, but would like an excuse to order a set of the Tyrols.


3 comments:

acash707 said...

The glass in the picture is fabulous, but you should replace what you broke with an item as similar as possible. You shouldn't feel bad, Sean & I were visiting my Uncles & while trying to do a good deed (washing their dishes) he managed to break not 1, but 2 of their wine glasses. Afterwards, we found out that they werent joking when they said they were expensive. $100 a piece!

acash707 said...

PS. fancy gay guys, you can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

Unknown said...

Brutal! You're right! I'll order the amazon ones...

I felt like one of those dog owners we talked about- with the crazy maniac dogs...Pilgrim needs a friend, or day care. Hedge Fund hours are getting to him. It wasn't as bad when he was younger and sleeping more...