25 August 2008

Mr. Falafel, you're good- just not that good.


For whatever reason, I remember Mr. Falafel being better than it is-

Perhaps it is because I was ravenously hungry the first time I partook- Either that or it has something to do with how much better Fatoosh is in comparison.

I ordered in: The Falafel Platter # 3 (comes with hummus and babaganoush) and the Fried Eggplant appetizer. The Tahini was missing something- lemon?

The pita seemed to be stale, and on par with a grocery store quality product. One menu item that Mr. Falafel offers that surpasses Fatoosh- is the homemade rose water lemonade. It's a lovely compliment to the spice of the food.

Otherwise, when ordering Middle Eastern salads and pita, I'm going to have to urge folks to stick with Fatoosh. The ingredients taste much more fresh, and are more intrically prepared. I would also recommend the falafel at Fatoosh over that of Mr. Falafel. I cannot speak for the lamb at Mr. Falafel, but it's decent at Fatoosh.

Let's be honest though- when ordering a Gyro, street carts are the best (40th and Broadway- ask for the lamb!!)






No comments: