26 February 2015

Laura Geller + Birchbox Master Class



I've dabbled into the world of Laura Geller in the form of gift with purchase, but hadn't had a proper introduction to the brand until a few weeks ago. Birchbox hosted a master class for a limited number of bloggers in their SoHo brick and mortar shop.



While demonstrating a full-face natural look, the artist from Laura Geller detailed the twenty-plus year history of the brand. The two show stopper products (in my humble opinion) are the baked cosmetic line and the Spackle primers.

Primers are something that only came into my beauty regime in the past five or six years. I tend to gravitate to textures which blend easily and perform beautifully with powder -and- liquid foundations. According to the Laura Geller, Spackle spearheaded the primer industry. The formula is enhanced with Centella Asiatica, aloe and white tea to protect your skin while retaining moisture. 

The baked cosmetics are crafted from several pigments and baked over a twenty-four hour period in Italy. The variation in the pigments allows for seamless blending, soft shimmer or matte effects and the ability to contour and highlight from the same pan.





After the master class, I was ushered into a seat for a beauty touch-up. To which I requested something to make me appear luminous (it had been a long day, in many conference rooms). While the pigment was brushed over my features, a woman approached me and introduced herself as Laura. I nearly jumped into her arms with enthusiasm. She hugged me, hung up my coat when it fell from my lap and asked me about my history with her brand.

Laura is incredibly warm, genuine and committed to empowering women with beauty and education. I tend to commit to brands whose philosophy is anchored in connecting with consumers and giving back a greater need. Laura has been honored for by City of Hope for her her support of multiple cancer-focused charities.

***


Goodies:

Each blogger received a well-lipsticked tote and a Complexion Favorites deluxe sample kit ($20 value/with purchase). The kit features a travel sized brush, Spackle primer and a Baked Balance and Brighten Complexion face powder in the hue Medium.


My take-away:

Spackle under makeup primer ($30/2 oz)

I've been in the market for a new primer (I confess that I have mostly been working with samples from my previous role a beauty-focused company) and decided to snag one from of the limited quality available in the shop.  In a word: heavenly. Spackle spreads evenly, dries quickly and secures makeup smoothly into place. When I reach my last drop, I'm going to repurchase the blend which features SPF. Interim, I ensure to use a moisturizer with sun protection.

Baked Balance-N-Brighten Color Correcting foundation in Fair ($33/0.32oz)

I couldn't resist indulging in the full-sized face powder in Fair.  I'm impressed with the diversity of this pan. I love the varied pigments and felt that coupled with the deluxe sample of the Medium powder, I could achieve a balanced look with subtle highlight and contour. A light application delivers an even toned appearance which is genuinely silky. To boot, the ingredients feature the same anti-aging ingredients in the Spackle primer.





No comments: