29 January 2014

Bethenny's Comfort Meatloaf

Comfort food tends to  make me feel sluggish and hankering for a nap. Who needs that? I generally prefer small portions throughout the day (handful of chickpeas, kale chips or a small onion soup) and a late dinner with good piece of lean protein and veggies or salad. This is all fine and dandy for me, but I'm cooking for a husband that prefers a massive decadent steak (I generally make one and have a few bites of his) or chicken parm.

We started a great tradition after upgrading from a studio to a one bedroom: Sunday Dinners. The nights are reserved for just us, an elaborate home-cooked meal and wine in our nice crystal. I've been successful in getting him hooked on salmon, branzino and whole roasted chicken, but have been looking for recipes to expand our rotation.

I hopped on Bethenny dot com and found a slightly intimidating recipe for turkey meatloaf (so many ingredients!). Meatloaf in general grosses me out. The name alone. I put my prejudices aside and rolled up my sleeves.


Verbatim from Bethenny dot com:


Comfort Turkey Meatloaf

2 T olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 tsp. minced garlic plus 1 tsp
1 tsp of each, chopped: thyme, rosemary
1/3 cup chopped parsley
2 egg whites
1.5 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 cup ketchup
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup soy milk or low fat milk
2/3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
2 lb. ground turkey meat
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup canned tomatoes, crushed or chopped
Chopped parsley for garnish

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat oil and add onions, celery and bell pepper and cook until softened or caramelized (about 5 minutes).
Add 2 teaspoons garlic and the herbs and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
Cool the vegetable mixture and add the eggs, mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and milk. Mix until combined. Add breadcrumbs, ground meat, salt and pepper, and mix only until incorporated.
Transfer to loaf pan and form. Pour tomato mixture over the top and bake for 45 minutes to an hour.
Season with salt and pepper, garnish with fresh parsley.
***
I followed the recipe with the two exceptions: I used the entire red pepper and substituted almond milk for soy milk. The entire prep and baking process absorbed about two hours and yielded a tremendous amount of meatloaf. I considered knocking on a few neighbors doors to see if they were hungry. The finished product is truly amazing. Moist, with a perfect marriage of flavorful herbs, veggies and protein, Bethenny's recipe is packed with complex flavors to satisfy picky palettes. 


Psst...so excited that I'll be in the studio audience of the Bethenny show tomorrow!

No comments: