08 March 2010

Pete's Tavern


It seems that I've encountered a third bar that claims to be the oldest in New York City: Pete's Tavern. As I settled into a bar stool, a few boozy eyed men leaned forward in the blinding sun light. The glare contrasted with the dark walls and original tin roof; St. Patrick's Day hats decor spiced the walls.


I requested a Bloody Mary from a bar keep donning an expertly tailored suit and red rep-stripe tie. The cocktail impressed me with its thickness and spice. Massive bowls of popcorn cluttered the counter and a few groups ordered warm scented brunch.


Beyond the eccentric grandmother style decor- the stairs downstairs to the bathroom were particularly frightening. I found myself carefully negotiating my way down them- wondering how many tipsy Civil War soldiers had fallen since the tavern opened in 1864.


Beyond the gorgeous Bloody, impressive tap list (including Pete's own 1864!) the highlight had to be the middle aged woman in the loo-- who was inspired to sing along to "Spirit in the Sky" as it cooed over the speakers.

Images: from my iPhone.

No comments: