23 March 2010

a lunch at Naniwa of Japan

We settled into a Naniwa of Japan after the lunch crowd had dispersed. The servers seemed a bit ruffled over our 2:30pm arrival, but agreed to seat us. The interior offered a subtle elegance meshed with function. I imagine the tight space would be a bit overwhelming for some during peak hours.

We decided to share a few items on the menu: Sashimi Deluxe platter with Miso soup and Yakitori. The sashimi came in a generous portion and quite fresh. I would have preferred the fish to be cut a little thinner, but the variety of five types of fish including Yellowtail garnished with thinly chopped scallions and tuna with marinated seaweed- was quite lovely. The Yakitori (BBQ chicken on skewers) impressed me with the negamaki style scallion addition and awkward potato salad/strawberry decor.

The service tapered off towards the end--and we were basically asked to leave-- our server was clocking off. A bit awkward as we were only there for 25 minutes, but I suppose few linger at lunch in Midtown during the week.


Images: from my iPhone

2 comments:

yuka said...

I used to work at Naniwa restaurant at night only. It's always crowded when it is lunch time but for dinner there is delicious Nabe(hot-pot). Try it if you have a chance ;) Yuka

Unknown said...

Thanks Yuka! I will have to try the Nabe soon<3

xo