26 March 2010

Wafels and Dinges

Information leaked that the Wafels and Dinges truck (which only sets up shop in Midtown on Thursdays) was serving free waffles in the spirit of International Waffle Day. The catch? There's usually a catch. You had to be wearing yellow. I teamed up with a colleague to snag a few tee's from the company soccer team and trotted over to 46th & 6th Avenue. We bonded with the folks in line, one girl admitted, "I didn't mean to wear yellow today, and I feel like it was fate. I was supposed to have free waffles today," and the childish grin behind us, "I wasn't wearing yellow, so I hope this works," as he pressed post-it notes on his chest.

I selected the Brussels Wafel (light and crispy) with strawberries and he chose Liege (chewy and soft) with spekuloos. Both plates were quite excellent and reminded me that: I need a waffle maker. My birthday is coming up next week...hint hint nudge nudge wink wink....

No comments: