04 March 2010

BonChon- Financial District

The opening of BonChon on John Street in the Financial District is a gorgeous mess. The highly addictive Korean fried chicken- coupled with the gregarious staff- has offered a handful of fantastic nights. In fact, I have to admit that it's rare I walk by the venue without noticing boisterous laughter, someone being woken up at the bar or a crowd a patrons smoking outside encouraging you to join. With this character, BonChon has quickly secured a position as an after-hours venue within the Financial District.


I ordered a glass of pinot grigio- which, despite the number of vodka/sodas I had already consumed- I clearly identified as watered down. The bar keep took a breath, then inspected the bottle he poured from, "Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. Here's a new glass and it's on me---I don't know---?" He sealed the apology by pouring shots of soju for both of us. I requested a small order of mixed spicy and soy ginger bon chon chicken with fries and radish. The chef must have been heavy fisted with the spice tonight, (my throat was burning) but my tongue cooled with the pickled radish and soju.



Image: 1- from my iPhone, 2- grace&kate

No comments: