15 October 2009

a dinner at Balthazar


I took the pleasure of dinner at Balthazar, in SoHo, yesterday evening. New York Magazine noted on the venue, “masterpiece, an evocation of a Paris brasserie that out glows anything within brie-tossing distance of the Seine.”

A bit ruffled from my delayed six train, I settled into our table. Albeit tightly pieced between others burgeoning with patrons, it offered a cozy remedy to the Autumn chill. While considering the traditional French Bistro menu, I sipped on a Ketel Martini: up, with an olive. A bit wet for my taste, I forgave the vermouth after a few sips. House breads were brought with creamy, light beurre.

To start, my company ordered the Roasted Beet Salad. The plate came as a slight hill of greens with leeks, haricots verts, walnuts and fourme d'Ambert. A gorgeous little dish with well balanced flavors- if not a starter, it would satisfy as a light lunch with a glass of Pinot Grigio.

We switched to Pinot Noir and dry white wine to match our entrees. My partner selected the Steak Au Poivre with pomme frites and spinach. I catered to my shellfish craving with the Moules Frites. Leeks, shaved garlic, white wine and cream complicated the wonderfully fresh moules. The two plates were ideal for sharing a few bites of each. I found the steak to be spot on in terms of texture and spice (noted that cracked pepper is a staple in my dining).

The intimacy of the tables lent us to conversation with a handful of couples- the service teetered back and forth from lacking to overbearing. We declined dessert and caught a nightcap at Ulysses.

Images: Taraci

No comments: