19 October 2009

a dinner at Canyon Road

I have a difficult time turning away a good margarita- a detail that lent me to accept a dinner invite, on the Upper East Side. I settled in good company at the Canyon Road bar.We sipped on lime margaritas rocks with salt. Slightly tart and in a generous glass- they were a good appetizer before dinner.

The venue filled up quickly- we put a name in for a table: twenty-five minutes. Not bad, for the city. After being relocated to a sub par spot, we mulled over our choices. I ordered the Grilled Rare Tuna with citrus, mango and papaya salsas, roasted corn and sauteed spinach. The variety of salsas were quite satisfying and the portion exceptionally generous. The roasted corn proved its excellence with the caramelized onions mingling amongst the kernels. Enriched with garlic, the sauteed spinach earned its keep.

My partner ordered the Grilled Salmon on a bed of rice, scallops and vegetables in a white wine caldito verde. The plate seemed a bit too large and messy in presentation- but satisfied him in it's flavor.

After dinner, we headed to Doc Watson's to catch the Yankees game. The over crowded bar entertained with youngish neighborhoodies and the thick scent of fried food. A slight amusement for the Upper East Side- I enjoyed the spot (with the added bonus of befriending an Irish guy who was quite startled that I was using the men's room as he was utilizing the urinal- I never did find the ladies room....).


Image: Shecky's

No comments: