20 February 2009

street shots: martha cooper


I cannot get enough of Martha Cooper's Street Shots series. For me, the subculture of street art is deeply intriguing. The catalyst of my interest being Tricia Rose's Black Noise. Cooper hits it spot on by outlining subject matter of youth existing in pre-renewal New York City as,

“…One of the kids that I used to see, one day showed me his little book and said, well why don’t you take pictures of graffiti, and explained he was designing his name and putting it on the wall. I was like oh, wow, graphic designers, and he said, I can introduce you to a king, and he introduced me to Dondi, and I then got totally wound up in graffiti and that turned into breakdancing and hip hop.”





Read more on Martha Cooper's Wikipedia page.
Or on her show specifics at Subliminal Projects.

No comments: