08 February 2008

I stand corrected!






This morning, Marto, (my friend from Bulgaria, who played soccer with me in College) mentioned to me, on gchat, that in certain Muslim countries, a man can divorce his wife with three SMS text messages. I called him out- as he enjoys combative/controversial banter...
and I stand corrected!

After mentioning this topic to Vadim- he inquired further with his coworker from Dubai- who assured him that indeed- men do not need a legal process to divorce their wives.

It is encouraging to read that this practice is drawing corrective actions- although it is unsettling to consider that it was ever an 'accepted' form of divorce. I vaguely remember discussing this in college. More than likely, in a Dr. Rosanne Kanhai course. (Women's theory, Globally). - Yes, the title of the course actually did include a comma, a major selling point in my opinion. The comma, time, location and of course promised content on the syllabus- ultimately confirmed my enrollment.

No comments: