22 October 2008

translating principles.


New Yorkers compete for everything from dinner reservations to seats on the subway. It's a savage beast that tugs and pokes at you-- to the point where you love it- and you're not sure why. Masochistic tendencies? Competitive nature?

As with all things in life, it's a trade-off for the victory and reward. And I'm back to thinking of a conversation that I had with my good friend from back home, Drew. He had ended up in Kenya for sometime, and when I asked of his experiences, he perked up:

"Well Keisha, you haven't really lived- until you've been hunted by something that wants to eat you."

To hold that belief- every inch of this stacked city is under the constant threat of being consumed, desired and used. I sometimes feel like a hunter. When I step on the train at Atlantic- I scan the people. I pigeon hole them. (I'll admit it). But let's be serious....the trip uptown can feel epic when you're teetering in four inch heels. I'm getting down to basic survival skills. I'm bee-line for the little Asian children. I know they're going to get off at the next stop- to go to school. In fact, most of them are so nervous about getting off in-time- that they will raise a good 10 seconds before the train jerks to a stop. That is prime-time to target and pounce on that orange, slippery bench.

No comments: