29 October 2008

something unexpected




M train. 7:14am. A seat is open. Why is there a seat open? The train is packed with the type of people that don’t stand when there is a place to sit. I considered. A man dressed in all black was slumped on the bench. Leaning into the wall, hood over his head. You couldn’t see an inch of skin. I couldn’t explain why, but I didn’t take the seat either. Not because I only had two stops- he didn’t seem uncanny to me, but to everyone else- herd mentality? He wasn’t a homeless man who’d lost control of his bladder, he didn’t smell (at least from the range I was at) He wasn’t giving a sermon, having a seizure…all the usual indicators of a ostracized seat.
-
I transferred. Another man sat with a seat open. He moved his backpack and curved his body towards the window. I took the seat that no one wanted. It’s only Wednesday, why am I this tired? I’m going to treat myself to a double tall neurotically detailed latte.
-
53rd and Lex. I hopped up the escalator. I’ve long since calculated which train car will drop me at the spot most convenient to avoid the line to get on.
-
Deli. I’ll need packs of Orbit Raspberry Mint and Sweet Mint gum for the office. Gum is staple. A roll of delicious buttery Werther’s Originals as well. Otherwise I’ll snack on the buffet of endless organic, diet conscious food in the Hedgie kitchen. Gum pulls you away from the twenty some odd pounds of Jelly Belly’s that are kept in stock. I placed my items on the deli counter inside the train station.
-
“$5.75”
-
I opened my yellow antique wallet. A pink dry cleaning slip. A dollar or so in change.
-
“Oh, I don’t have any cash.”
-
“You can use the ATM,” his heavily Arabic accented voice gestured.
-
“Oh, well- I, it’s okay.”
-
“You can take the items. Stop by next time you’re around.”
-
“I couldn’t. No, it’s fine. But thank you.”
-
“Please, take them. “

No comments: