19 October 2008

points of interest

As per usual, the Pilgrim alarm went off at a pre-comfort rise time, on Saturday morning. I suited him up in his Brooklyn Industries hoody and headed up the Slope to the Green Market. Turnips and sweet potatoes were new to the mix of gorgeous produce- we stocked up with plans of sweet potato mashers and mild japanese turnip and Jersey cucumber salad for Sunday dinner.
Green beans, wax beans, a few squash, a gorgeous loaf of braided sesame bread later- we hopped our way back down the slope to Sweet Melissa for zucchini-goat cheese muffins and chocolate cupcakes with the most divine whipped-light peanut butter frosting (I have no idea how they make this incredible and let's be honest: religious frosting).
And then there was this. Just a bit much to not take notice. The chalk drawing was drafted outside the Jewish Temple on Eighth Avenue in Park Slope. Child psychologists please step in. Although we have our educated assessments from Psych 101, we'd love your professional take on what is going on here. Additionally, I'd like for you to take a look at the upper left-hand corner. That is one of three Soviet stars that the child drew (trust me, I've been to a formerly Soviet country).

Moving on:

We headed back to the apartment to consider our morning's next move. I settled on breakfast.
--
After crafting a beautiful omelette, and a cup of coffee, I headed to Atlantic Avenue to select XBox games for my brother's birthday offering. During this crowded, confusing project- I negotiated an outing with Julia, in Chelsea.

Poised on the Manhattan-bound N, I glanced up from the Burial on my IPod and Time Out New York magazine to see perhaps the most amusing individual of the day: 1980's blue eye-shadow, foundation four shades too dark for her complexion, over-permed hair, teddy bear print fleece, Grumpy tee shirt...LeSportSac bag with animals kissing and hearts- ferociously drafting what was a six page letter (and still going at Union Square where I stepped off) detailing her disgust for an individual who had wronged her. I didn't catch much, a few lines about acting like a two year old- God will punish you, etc etc...but needless to say, it was a display.

I found Julia at the Good Will store at 25th and 5th. Perhaps one of the few Good Will stores in the country where one can purchase second hand Jimmy Choo shoes for $100. "Wow this place is doing well, " I offered to Julia as she held up a Tahari blouse and Versace suit for me to consider. We popped across the street to Chelsea's "The Garage" flea market. (Photographed finds below and above text). Lizard bags from the 1960's ($185-250), costume jewelry, old photos, art and clothes dominated the market's content. Julia selected a beautiful Cobra skin wallet for $10.
I resisted (somehow) the temptations of many gorgeous bags- but did select a handful of vintage photographs that I plan to arrange in one large frame. When I asked the vendor the price, he smiled. "Cheap, so you can buy them. Five dollars?"

"I can do that." I slipped a five into his palm and waited for him to wrap the picks.

Five p.m. had rolled around. After a light snack we considered a few errands and decided to take our respective paths home- me towards lower Manhattan, Julia to Jersey City. Up next: Brooklyn Flea in Fort Greene.

1 comment:

? said...

Hello, this is my first time here and I'm looking forward to returning. I hope you will find the time for a counter visit so we can stay connected. I find your blog very interesting and would like to follow it. I also see we share some interests i.e. I see one of your favourite movies is babel, did you like the story, what do you think about it in the way GLOBALISATION is linked to the tower of babel?