16 May 2012

"Perfect Greek Salad"

I'm pretty sure my husband and I added a Greek salad to all of our lunches whilst in Greece. The veggies and cheese were beyond anything we've found in the city (with the exception of Fresh Direct's Bulgarian Feta, and the occasional Jersey heirloom in peak season at the Green Markets).

With that being said, I think it's best to avoid attempting to replicate what we enjoyed overseas. I popped over to one of my guilty pleasure reads, Dose of Divine, and low and behold: a feature on Greek Salad.

I love the addition of avocado and the twist on the dressing with Dijon:

Romaine lettuce, chopped (either 3 bags or 3 heads)

7 large, ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
2 large red bell peppers, finely chopped
1 large yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
1 red onion, sliced
1 large or 2 small cucumbers, sliced into chunky pieces (we prefer Persian or English cucumbers, as they don’t have seeds)
1 ½ cup Feta cheese, crumbled (we prefer French Feta if you can find it!)
1 ½ cups pitted Kalamata olives
3 Avocados, sliced

Dressing:
¾ cup olive oil

¼ tsp dried oregano
½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste

No comments: