27 February 2010

The Open Door Gastropub


I'm beginning to think John Street is giving Stone Street a bit of competition- between recently opened Bonchon and my introduction to The Open Door Gastropub- I'm no longer as temped to lazily avoid better venues in further neighborhoods. We shuffled in at 1:00am with little confidence in food- thinking a few cocktails and a deli sandwich would suffice. A massive bouncer approached and requested my ID as he shuffled us to a place at the bar. He waved my lisense under a candle then apologized as he returned it- not requesting my bearded partner's.


We mulled over the list of libations- noting with a hearty chuckle that over half of the beers were misspelled. I selected the Spicy Cucumber Margarita. The cocktail came served up and compromised of Tanteo jalapeno tequila, fresh lime, agave nectar, muddled cucumber and a jalapeno garnish. The blend proved refreshing and could have bit more on the spicy side- but certainly even keeled enough to sip more than one. My partner indulged in a few of the adorably misspelled beers: Palm and the Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA. The 120 came served in a wine glass and earned its $20 price tag with each sultry, hoppy sip.

The victory came with: a gorgeously detailed menu of dishes still being served at this hour (full menu, minus the entrees). We selected the Truffled Blue Cheese Fries with tomatoes, scallions, cilantro, melted Gorgonzola and drizzled with white truffle oil. The heaping plate satisfied our palates while a middle aged group of men took Jager shots and lone soldier at the other end of the bar sang/clapped to the bartender's personal mix of tunes. Serpico played on two TVs overhead and a rousing snowball fight commenced on John Street.


images: from my iPhone.

No comments: