28 February 2010

a dinner at City Crab


Having had a big brunch Saturday afternoon, I didn't have the desire for dinner. Regardless, there's always room for oysters on the half shell. We settled into City Crab on Park Avenue in Union Square. The cocktail list tempted- though the bar keep admitted that most of my choices were quite sweet and I found myself sip sampling the Central Park (mojito) then opting for an Absolut Ruby and Soda, followed by house bubbly.

To eat, we shared the Maryland Lump Crab Cake and a platter of seasonal oysters. The crab cake came in a well formed cylinder with a mild Dijon sauce and garnished with edamame salad. It should be noted that this dish is the closest to the impressive crab cakes I've sampled in Baltimore: with succulent lumps of blue shell crab dominating the flavor.

The Oyster platter represented the East and West coasts with four each of British Columbia Fanny Bays, Long Island Saddle Rock and Fisher Islands. I tend to prefer the sweetness of West Coast shellfish to the briny East- but the Long Island were quite gorgeous this evening.

A word to the wise- happy hour on Saturday begins at 10:00pm. Enjoy half priced house pours with your seafood!


Image: from my iPhone.

No comments: