28 February 2010

a brunch at Smorgas-Financial District


Good Scandinavian food offers me the comfort of home I only enjoy on Christmas with my family...ergo taking brunch at Smorgas is an easy decision. I settled into a place at the bar with some reading that I've been meaning to get caught up on. The Financial District location offers a prixe fix for $16.95 with the option to add unlimited mimosas for $10. The menu consists of: one cocktail- bloody mary or mimosa, choice of entree and coffee.

I sipped a bloody mary made with Finnish vodka and dressed my coffee while mulling over my options. While the Swedish meatballs and mussels with frites are favorites, I've been on a bit of a Benedict kick. I requested the Florentine with parmesan and Carlsberg hollandaise with greens, and Jansson's. While quite rich with the gratin style potatoes and hollandaise, the greens and spinach offered a touch of balance. The crowd thickened as the two o'clock hour approached and a few girls tucked in a window seat sipped champagne quickly. Service tapered off towards the end- but the warm smiles of the Scandinavian accented waitresses lent forgiveness.



A few on the West Village location-

No comments: