18 March 2008

brunch at Sette

Last weekend: Brittain Mason and I connected to take brunch on Sunday. She met me at my Park Slope apartment and we headed for Stone Park. After offering my cell phone on a 1.5 hour wait list, we decided to walk around the Slope and enjoy the beginnings of Spring. I noted on 7th Ave that there appeared to be an abundance of NYPD manning the intersections...as we approached 6th street, we took notice of a St. Patty's day parade approaching us. Pausing to take in the various high school bands and women in hand-knit fisherman sweaters- We noticed that Michelin Guide recommended Sette was offering a three course Brunch with unlimited Bloody Mary or champagne cocktails. The forty-minute wait and provided entertainment of the parade seemed to be a good trade-off for Stone Park. (I had been craving the Blue Fish Cakes Benedict)

As if in matched timing- he moment that the Parade's caboose reached our steps, our table was available...

We started with homemade raisin-walnut foccacia- Vadim and I had the Bloody Mary, Brittain the Bellini. The bartender was a bit overzealous with the horseradish, but I will admit I am a bit sensitive to the measurement of this ingredient in my Bloody. We enjoyed a handful of thin, tailored Italian waiters circling with pitchers of our breakfast libations...

For my Antipasti, I partook in the light and expertly balanced flavor of the balsamic figs & prosciutto- as well did Brittain. Vadim opted for the Ricotta Fritters with Fruit Puree, which he noted could have been improved if the Ricotta flavor was more detectable. For our Secondi, Brittain and I both chose the Smoked Salmon Omelet with tomato, caramelized onion and goat cheese. The eggs were buttery soft- a delicious combination- but I almost feel as though one fewer eggs would have complimented the contents better. The dressed greens were excellent- a variety of spicy and bitter perfected with a light oil and vinegar. Vadim stepped out of our suit and chose the Poached Eggs, 'Benedict' on foccacia. The meal was so, precise and well crafted. We were lucky enough to get a table on the heated garden, and although a bit crowded- the experience was well worth our time.

I've had dinner at Sette before and would have to admit that it is equally satisfying in ingredients and presentation- but the overall design of the brunch ritual is better crafted. If you would like a late dinner, I would recommend their pizza and greens. Anything with figs and chevre is completely lovely. You may also spot Steve Buscemi, who is noted to enjoy dining at Sette.

1 comment:

infoviaggiare said...

Wow, you are very beautiful.
Hello from Italy.

http://www.infoviaggiare.splinder.com