25 November 2009

a dinner at Bin 38


Bin 38 graciously forgave us for arriving early for our reservation- seating us in a warm, if not approaching sultry corner table (image below). For sipping, I chose a Prosecco- others took lead or leaned to beer. Both lists were thoughtfully designed to compliment the menu.

We started with three appetizers: Brussels sprouts with smoked ham hock, French feta, Golden Delicious apple and pine nuts; plump scallops and baked feta with huckleberry marmalade and crostini. While all dishes were gorgeously presented, I found the Brussels sprouts to be the strongest for the variety of flavors exhibited. Also noted- the size of the apps lends them to be shared when planning on an entree as well.


For our main courses, braised short ribs, from scratch ravioli and seared ahi with Kalamata compote, asparagus mashers and fleck of crunch rice. I found myself quite pleased with my seared tuna- plump and surprisingly well-complimented by the Kalamata (which I typically avoid). Textures were expertly designed and portions ideal. While I didn't finish my plate, I felt deeply content. The wine country inspired restaurant secured my affection for the San Francisco dining scene.

images: via, via

No comments: