19 June 2008

images, coney island.

I captured these photos during the off season. The voices drifted in Russian hymns. Well defined social groups- each shop that I entered- I was immediately assumed to be a native Russian, as well. Although Slavic, I am Serb-Croat.

Beyond the well-defined linguistic culture and cheap groceries, what drew me in was the shapes, color palate and graphic layers of the neighborhood.

There is something completely juvenile about that make-up of Coney Island, yet it's a perennial adult playground. Beyond the Summer rides and beach access, I consider it more of an icon. A place to go on the weekend to take photos and eat Pel Meni and borstche.

On that note- what ever happened to Tim's Cascade Coney Island (hot dog w/ mustard) flavored chips? The Pacific Northwest should bring those back, pronto.

No comments: