20 June 2010

Vic Ruggiero at Death By Audio

It's rare that I find a performer that I enjoy more live than altered in a recording. Vic Ruggiero impressed me. Beyond his playful personality and humble lyrics, he does something with a guitar, a harmonica and the tap of his foot to the drum- that I was told would make me want to take my bra off and throw on stage (okay, maybe it did a little...)

Death By Audio is a sort of thrown together- (with purpose, I'm sure- we are talking about Williamsburg hipsters here)- space on an empty industrial block. Hand painted creatures, dead couches, ripped chairs and a single smiling boy behind a card table line-up of coke, Brooklyn Lager, PBR, a plastic jug of no-name Canadian whiskey and over sized bottle of red wine. He looked a bit like the kid from Juno, a detail he liked being told, "because I'm like 10 years older than that kid."

The room filled with chubby girls with haircuts from the early 90's and functional satchels with funky accents- patches, buttons or fabric hand sewn on. Most in mildly trendy, but designed for comfort shoes. With their eyes-closed with PBR buzzes, they sang along with Vic. Some took videos with their blackberries as he belted somewhere between blues and ska.

Let's do this again.


Image: from my iPhone

No comments: