24 October 2011

a brunch at Al di La


It's been a few years since I've dined at Al di La. Oddly, I hadn't brunched at the Michelin guide recommended venue yet. We met a handful of friends early (11:30am) to avoid the mob scene that would ensue over the next few hours.


I sipped a smooth cappuccino as we nibbled on house made bread and discussed the menu.


For myself, the duck confit hash: lightly poached egg, roasted red pepper, green olives, capers and spinach. The olives and capers salt the dish beautifully. I ate slowly to enjoy the experience longer.


Others at the table enjoyed the squash soup special, farro salad, hangar steak, ricotta cavatelli and Trippa alla Toscana (photographed above). The well-arranged dishes provided an aesthetic quality, beyond their superb flavor.

My fiance selected the Heritage pork belly sandwich with pickled onion, tomato and salsa verde. The fatty pork soaked the crispy bread nicely and the pickled onion added a bit of excitement to our palate. We shared our plates and together could not finish them. We enjoyed the pork belly, but found the duck confit to take the cake.

No comments: