15 April 2013

The Daffodil Project

Have you noticed Daffodils popping up around the city as Spring makes its presence known? In 2007, The Daffodil Project was founded to recognize those who lost in 9/11. Each year, more than 10,000 volunteers plant Daffodil bulbs across the city. Chosen for their yellow hue, the color of remembrance:

Like most New Yorkers in the fall of 2001, NY4P Chair Emeritus Lynden Miller was grieving in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks when she received a fax from Hans van Waardenburg, a Dutch bulb supplier.

"He had written, 'I feel so distressed and heartbroken for New York. New York and my country have had a long relationship going back to New Amsterdam. ... I just wish there was something I could do,' " Miller told the New York Daily News in 2011. 

"And I sent back, 'Hans, you don't have any extra bulbs, do you?' "

No comments: