11 January 2009

sunday brunch: jarnac


I feel like I don't get to see Brittain enough. We connected this afternoon for Brunch at Jarnac in the West Village. A cute little spot, I'd walked by it before thinking I ought to check it out. Michelin Guide recommended, I knew it had promise.


We started with coffee and agonized over the menu. A jumble of detail and temptation, Brittain selected the: Brioche French Toast w/ Caramelized Bananas, Vadim cruched on the: Corned Beef & Hash w/ Fried Eggs and I simply had to try: Handmade Pork Tamales with Poached Eggs and Alma’s Famous Molé.


Hello love. The dishes expertly satisfied that Sunday afternoon drag, misgivings of late nights and dreading the work day to come. The Brioche French toast stacked with a light crispy flavor and succulent Vermont Maple Syrup, the Corned Beef and Hash a savory masterpiece with crusty homemade toast and the Tamales: gorgeously textured pork, smoky and subtly sweet mole with perfectly poached eggs and a dallop of sour cream. I sprinkled a bit of sea salt over the top and reveled in the beauty of each bite.



After finishing our dishes and catching up on Island gossip, career updates and a few laughs we headed back into the cold. On the way to the L train, Vadim looked up, "I think I just saw a man having sex."

"Where?"

"Up there, corner window."

I stepped back, looked up. Saw the man in question, "No, he's just without shir- oh, my, oh yes. Wow. Vigoriously so. Cute blond with him!"

- And somewhat humorously in the Meatpacking District.

Love,

New York.

No comments: